How to petition parents as a USC son/daughter

Undocumented individuals who have U.S. citizen children often ask when and if their child can help them obtain their Lawful Permanent Resident status. A citizen child who is over 21 years old can begin the process for a parent to get their Permanent Residence card, often referred to as a green card. However, the process can be complicated and any parent seeking a green card through their child needs to carefully consider certain things before they move forward. This guide provides a brief explanation of this process, what is needed for a son or daughter to help their parent(s) obtain status, and some considerations to keep in mind as you explore this process.